We’ve got poppies spilling out of doors and over walls and (this just in!) up across our ceilings — time to put a poppy over your heart, just in time for 11/11. The tutorial below gives you the step-by-step for our Poppy Project‘s Poppy Ambassador pins.
Happy Remembrance Eve! xx
YOU WILL NEED:
- poppy pin template (download here and scale to size as desired; ours were printed at 5×7”)
- construction paper, one sheet each of poppy red, jet black, goldenrod and evergreen.
- hot glue gun
- bar pin
- Trace and cut poppy pieces according to template.
- Crease red petal pieces in half length-wise.
- Fold petal pieces again; this time each outer edge toward center crease, effectively folding each bulbous end into quarters.
- Using the quarter-creases as a guide, scallop the petal edges with scissors.
- When all three petal pieces have been folded and scallop-cut, layer one on top of the other in a wheel to form the flower (it may be useful to enlist a tiny dab of glue between cross-pieces).
- Arrange the poppy greens to your liking behind the petal wheel and staple the entire stack through the center to secure in place.
- Holding the yellow pollen piece between thumb and forefinger, fold the fringe upward around your thumb like a thimble. Repeat with black center.
- Glue black center to yellow pollen piece, and yellow pollen piece to petal wheel.
- Turning the poppy over, run hot glue along the staple line and glue bar pin in place.